View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
4th World Traditional Archery Festival 

Post 4th World Traditional Archery Festival
Dear fellow members,

the following is a message from the organization committee of WTAF in Korea. I highly recommend participation in that event to anyone interested in the history and tradition of bows and arrows around the world.
Last year, Bede Dwyer from Australia and myself (representing Austria) were the only SAA members taking part! WTAF is a unique chance to get in touch with traditional archers, archer-antiquarians, and archery historians from all over the world, to see fascinating equipment, and have great fun together.

The message from the organization committee:

Dear Fellows of the World Traditional Archery

Time flies so fast. It’s already the last week of March, 2010. That means we will meet in about 6-7 months again here
in Korea. This year, we would like to invite the traditional archers from at least 35 countries. In order to make it
successful, we would like to ask you great favor and cooperation.

We would like to announce the following schedules for WTAF 2010:

1. Preregistration – from March 22 by the end of May
2. Official registration – in July
3. Tentative Dates and Venue
Dates : October 8 – 13(5 nights and 6 days)
Venue : Jangseong, Jollanamdo Province, Republic of Korea

Again, we sincerely ask your cooperation and great favor for the very successful WTAF2010.

Sincerely yours,

WTAFOC

gungdoo님의 블로그
안녕하세요.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

I must second Jan's comments. The World Traditional Archery Festival is an excellent meeting place for all kinds of traditional archers and craftsmen. In the past Great Britain has been represented by notable members of the Society who not only participated in the competitions, but also gave interesting lectures at the Seminar.

This is a rare opportunity to take part in a government sanctioned and supported archery event that is more about culture and technology (albeit ancient) than competition.

The presence of Society members enriches their experience and simultaneously popularises the Society itself. Many of the informal discussions revolve around subjects that have been aired in the Journal over the decades so interested members can often make important contributions.

Some time ago I wrote an article on the Scythian-style bows excavated in Xinjiang. While in Korea, one of the festival attendees told me about a small museum in Seoul that had one of these bows. As a result of a visit with other attendees and one of our Dutch members, I was able to acquire enough information for another article on the bows and see other examples of Scythian technology plus a wealth of other archery equipment.

This is a rare opportunity for people with the interests of members of our Society. Nowhere else will you see representatives of so many archery cultures with the added advantage of translators supplied by our hosts.

Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 am
Site Admin

Post Re: 4th World Traditional Archery Festival
It would be really great if more SAA members were to attend this - but there is nothing to say how to register...there is no address or even an e-mail. Do they have a website ?

Regretfully, this information is too late to go in Arrowhead, as this has just been posted to members. The next Arrowhead will not be out until after the July deadline.

Administrator

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 pm

The email address is
gungdoo@naver.com

The current contact person is
Eunae Jo

If you email the address and ask any questions, I am sure that they would be answered.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 am

here is a picture of some Mongol archers at the 2008 WTAF.

Attachments:
WTAF-1-0729a.JPG
WTAF-1-0729a.JPG [ 96.62 KiB | Viewed 6964 times ]

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]