View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Possible Outreach Project - Bowyers, Societies & Art 

I agree that if Fred Lake can be persuaded to pass his research material across to the Society for inclusion in th archives -or Library - then our task will be that much easier. It is the 'Field' information for periods not covered by the 'Archer's Register which is most valuable as you will recongnise of course. I would be glad if you were to write to Fred as you suggest, - I have an Issue with him at present which would cloud my attitude.

Apart from'The Field', I think that you and I between us have access to the remaining references. Indeed, if Fred has his 'Field' references held separately, they are really all that we need I think. The rest we could compile ourselves I believe.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:25 am

Post Possible Outreach Project - Bowyers, Societies & Art
Fred Lake should have my letter sometime next week [assuming that the "Postal" gods are kind].

As I understand it, the "Field" was published from 1853 to 1922. According to "A Bibliography of Archery", the archery societies' reports were reprinted in the following year's "Archer's Register" [AR] and form the only record when it [the AR] was not published for the years 1867 through 1876.

"A Bibliography of Archery" notes that the only complete set of the "Field" in the United States is located in the New York Public Library although there are runs of the publication in other U.S. libraries.

Other than the "Field" for the missing years when the "Archer's Register" wasn't published, I believe that as you suggest that between us we should be able to fill in most of the gaps based on the reference material that we have available to us in our respective collections.

However, I think that if Fred could share his notes and information on archery societies with us it would provide a huge "jump start" to the effort especially knowing how resourceful and detailed he is in his research. He has probably covered a lot of the ground that we would be retracing, reinvestigating and researching.

Let's hope for some good luck!

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Good work. I only hope that Fred will respond. The key to missing U.K information is certainly 'The Field' . It may also throw some light on the gap years between the end of A.R and the begining of Archery News. I think that Fred may have his information in card index form. I seem to remember him saying so when we discussed the subject some years ago.
There is supposed to be a run of the magazine at Gloucester City Library, - vide Bibliography of Archery - but when I enquired some time ago no-one could find it and the suspicion is that it has been disposed of. I can and will try agan but I don't hold out much hope.

Turning to Continental Societies, those from France and Belgium are listed in broad detail within 'Le Tir d'Arc', (1900) a copy of which I have. These will form the basis of the Continental list but we will still need input from members to cover the later years.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 am

Good point -- the "Field" does fill in the years between the "Archer's Register" and the inception of "Archery News" as well. Since the "Archer's Register" ceased publication in 1915 that means that the archery records for 1915 would be found in the "Field" since the archery societies' reports were actually reprinted in the following year's "Archer's Register".

"Archery News" was published from 1922 thru 1948. "A Bibliography of Archery" notes that "Archery News" 'succeeded the "Field" and the "Archer's Register" 'because the "Field" found it impossible to include accounts of archery meetings since Colonel Walrond's death.' Colonel Walrond must have been a very busy and resourceful individual.

I have a copy of "Le Tir d'Arc" as well although my command of the French language leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps our French and European members can also assist us with regard to Continental archery societies particularly because they may be aware of reference material that we don't know about or would have the ability to access. :grin:

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:27 pm

I have actually listed all the Societies which have sent material to the Archer's Register for years 1864,5, and 6 and the vast majority were formed in either the late 50's or the early 60's. Very few are before that time. I don't therefore think that much will come from the earlier Editions of The Field. It is during the 'inter-regnum' from 1867 to 1875 that it will be invaluable.

My listing is quite basic. Just Name, alphabetically, County and date of formation, but it is a start. Additional detail to be added: Shooting Ground(s), Club Round(s) Mens's and Women's. Costume if known. Principal award(s). Rules are not included within the Registers as you know.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm impressed with what you accomplished in such a short period of time. That's an interesting observation in terms of your finding that most of the Societies you identified in the AR's for 1864-66 were actually formed in the late 50's or early 60's thereby reducing the importance of needing earlier editions of the "Field" for identifying archery societies prior to 1864.

Your basic listing is an excellent start. Best to record the basic information and then add supplemental information as it begins available. Obviously this will be a "work in progress" as additional information is identified and discovered over time for various archery societies.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:35 am

David and all; I've following this thread for a while and have been tempted to respond a few times. Now, after a friendly reminder by our admin, I will.
I think it is both an honorable and a valuable task, and I am willing to help and support it in any way I can.
Only from a German viewpoint I'm afraid there is not much to contribute. You will rarely find any societies dating back to before WW II, and even if so, they will all have taken up firearms or at least the crossbow a long time ago. Archery has never been popular in Germany, the crossbow has replaced the bow as early as the Middle Ages, and it has never become a popular sport or pastime here (well, until the last 20 years or so).
That also means that there have been no professional bowyers or fletchers to speak of, since there simply was no market to produce for. Traditional archery has no tradition here …
Our fellow member Jens Sensfelder is the man to ask about crossbow-makers – he'll probably have a list of all who are known by name or can be identified by their marks.

But still, if I can be of any value, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thumbs upo and fingers crossed for that project!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

Post Awareness
I received today an e-mail that very few replies had been received regarding this project.
Although, I must admit, that I do not log on to the site with great regularity, I was not aware of the David's proposal for such an undertaking.
Probably, I would suggest, that it was raised under the wrong heading, Notices, it is not really where this belongs, consequently not many members would have necessarily picked up on it.
I do feel that it would be a very worthwhile exercise, so may be all the posts should be transferred to a section devoted only to this subject?
I don't know if this is feasible, but it would make much more sense to bring it, glaringly, to all members.
Dave

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Jan & Dave - Thanks very much for your positive comments and support -- they are much appreciated.

Dave - you may have a point - perhaps by placing this Outreach Project under NOTICES, it turns out that it wasn't as visible as it could been.

Hopefully, Hugh Soar will have a good discussion with the Committee members at the AGM - Hugh has kindly agreed to bring the matter up at the AGM.

Thanks again for your input and responses.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 am

Post Periods to investigate
Hi
Apologies for delayed participation
I agree that beginning this sort of project and information would be invaluble. From a purely personal point of view my interest is in the medieval period where information is scarcer. I have some information which I could contribute on bowyers, fletchers and contemporary illustrations from the 14th - 16th centuries. Also some info reviewing archaelogical finds.
I don't know how relevant any of this is to the project as outlined so far.
I also wonder, despite the difficulty for non UK members to contribute, if a dialogue at the AGM might not be particularly useful to clarify some issues

Richard

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Post Outreach Project - Bowyers, Societies & Art
Thanks very much for your interest, support and offer of assistance. In order to get the project underway, we are going to initially concentrate on addressing archery clubs/societies. In this manner, we will 'walk before we run' and not take on too much at first. Most importantly, this will give us an opportunity to smooth out the approach and process.

When we get to bowyers, fletchers and contemporary illustrations from the 14th to 16th centuries, we will be in a better position to take you up on your generous offer to help.

Please stay tuned! We are looking forward to working with you. Thanks again. :smile:

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

It has ben agreed that Dave and I spuld be the joint co-ordinators of this Project, largely because we have most of the necessary source material and can make the time needed to analyse and record information

We plan to concentrate upon U.K and U.S Clubs and Societies because they are most readily accessible from records. Richard's help would be appreciated if he has knowledge of Societies earlier than 17th Century.

Sixteenth century Societies such as Prince Arthur's Knights, and the Black Train (especially the latter) need investigation. The former is well known to me and I have written it up, but the latter is ripe for examination. The Kilwinning Society needs some comment of course.

Don't forget that this exercise is not confined to the long-bow. There were many Shooting Guilds on the Continent using the cross-bow. cf Payne Gallwey 'The Crossbowmen of Dresden'. & Anne Brun's 'Historical Targets'.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am

OK, if crossbows are included then there might be some German material to contribute. I will try to get fellow member Jens Sensfelder interested. He should have something to share. Certainly he has an extensive list of German crossbow-makers and their marks.
I'll do some digging and see what comes up.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

Jan, Thanks -- your information will be great to have.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 am

Since english is not my native language it is not always I understand everything that is being written, but as far as I can understand all this sounds very interesting. If I understand the Administrator correct a sum of 150 pounds is needed to upgrade or change the forum. If that is so I will gladly donate that sum to SAA. In Norway very little is known about archery from medeival times and up to modern times. Then in the 1930ies a few guys started it again. They wrote a book on how to make bows and arrows and started an archery club. In the last few years there has been a renewed interest in traditional archery an quite a few people are making their own tackle. Today we have a few people who would qualify as good bowyers.
Flightshooting is also on the move, the current record with a laminated all wood bow stands at the 370 meters. Oddbjørn.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next