View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Low attendance at the Summer Shoot 

Do you think there should be more time set aside during the Society of Archer-Antiquaries Antiquarian Shoot for shooting?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm
Yes 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Low attendance at the Summer Shoot 
Doesn't look like your recommendation has stirred anyone into action, but I am in agreement with you. The AGM is another oportunity for the members to do something collectively.

Either shoot, as it is hosted at a shooting ground.

Have a guest speaker, who could present some of their research.

Examine some archery artifacts.

We will all need to consider what it is we want from our two annual meetings. The first step requires more people to get on the forum and start contributing, as I am sure it hasn't escaped the regularly contributors to this forum there are a lot of people who have joined and haven't posted anything.

Our society newsletter has a role but it best suited for organising people and developing ideas.

<--------------------------<<<<<<<<<<

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:29 pm
Quick check of member list there are 30 members who haven't post anything, yet.

I am not have a go I am just stating a fact.

<------------------------<<<<<<<<<

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:32 pm
Site Admin

It has always saddened me that - having joined the forum - so many people have never had a word to say. There is no way of knowing if they visit and read, of course, but I have my doubts.

I have tried and tried to encourage the non contributers to become more active - singing the praises of the interesting discussions which take place. I have put notices in Arrowhead, and sent e-mails to all of them, but to no avail.

Has anyone got any other bright ideas ?

Administrator

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:21 pm
I'm really new to the SAA but i'm not that new to forums.
I think there are twos things:
First you need someone enthousiastic and knowledgable enough to play the role of a locomotive. Someone who is always here and willing to answer any question coming. I've done it it takes a lot of time. but when people see that things are moving in the forum they come and post more easily. for exemple take a look at this topic:
http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141 after I posted the picture there as been 6 messages and 4 of them dealing with the fact that it was possible or not to see the pictures. and the first answer comes 5 days after I posted the topic. I'm not saying this against anybody and especially not against Forest as he was the first to answer but it is like a vicious circle. The less people post, the less they com and see what's new on the forum and things tend to become... dusty.

Second in order to get the questions, The more people can post the better it is. So why not opening some areas to non SAA members? There is, gathered here a wealth of knowledge; sharing it with people outside the SAA would be great and could even bring new members to the SAA.

Of course theres are the ideas of a rookie. i'm really new to the society and I have still a lot to learn about the way it works but this could be ideas...

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 am
Site Admin

Pierre - you make some very good points. Sadly I think it is getting people to actually go to and look at the forum in the first place. I have heard all sorts of excuses.

As Administrator I make a point of visiting every day to see if there is anything new. However, I do not always comment, particularly if someone else has done so and has more expertise that I have.

I have told members about the very interesting subjects being discussed and the superb images being shown. It is what we call ennui - or the fact that many members are in need of a "Round Tuit". This is what is often said about people in England who promise that they will get around to it sometime but never do.

I wonder if I could get some "Round Tuits" and send them to those who are registered but never post ?

Administrator

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 am
A big part of the problem is the overall number of members. The society has something in the order of 150-200 overall? If 50 or so have registered, and 20 posted, that seems to me to be a good turnout (Given that not everyone has a computer/internet/likes using it/perceives usefulness of forum). Some politicians dream of such electoral turnouts.
Most fora have many more members, and thus, a higher turnover of topics. The SAA is by its nature, a small group, because it consists of academics most of whom found their interest through a minority sport.
This is not to say I'm content with the situation, but I can see why it might exist. I find it quite peturbing that the largest topic is on the lack of topics.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm
Site Admin

Mike - I take your point entirely, It is generally accepted amongs those who deal with questionnaires, invitations, enquiries, requests et al, that a 10% response is GOOD. What IS of concern is that presumably all those who registered DO have internet access and presumably also thought there was some benefit, yet have remained silent. This is - I think - more noticeable amongst UK members, so in a sense the forum has met its remit as part of the "outreach" project, to offer contact to those not in the UK who are unable to come to meetings.

Having said that, I am personally extremely pleased at how the forum has grown from the days when I had to "seed" threads, and provide all the answers to queries myself. Now at least I can sit back a bit and enjoy the erudite conversations.

Administrator

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:15 am
Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock. That's right less than a week to go to the Summer Shoot. I am looking forward to seeing lots of members with interesting archery equipment to discuss. See you all there.

:smile: <---------------------------<<<<<<<<

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:30 pm

I use several forums for different purposes. I have noticed here that most of the questions seem to fall into groups that you would only ask here. there is a wealth of practical experience in examining old bows, shooting, reconstruction and research. Several members are outstanding reconstructors.

I think that many people who do post on the forum, only ask questions that they think could not be answered elsewhere. What we need is more general discussions of archery history at one extreme and more explicit questions about tack at the other. It would be nice to see more comments about the recent visit to an obscure museum where you found the strange arrow heads or the research that you are progressing with but haven't quite finished.

This would encourage people to look around more and give feedback and moral support to the researchers.

In the old days members of the Society help me unstintingly and they went out of their way to encourage me to write and publish. That is part of the spirit of the Society and it is reflected in the members it attracts. Many of us are in the older age groups. We have a lot to offer in knowledge and experience. The Internet and E-mail give the more frail amongst us a second lease on life. Dr Grayson in his last years struck up an e-mail correspondence with some archers in Turkey which was mutually beneficial because of the exchange of knowledge. He learned things that he could not have done in any other way and his Turkish friends had the benefit of his decades of experience with Turkish bows.

What I am suggesting is that we should encourage some of our older members to get involved in the forum. It will make the forum more interesting and make sure that people can still enjoy their interests even if they cannot get around as much as they used to.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:00 am
Site Admin

Bede - your post is most interesting and mirrors what I feel. May I have your permission to read it out at the August Meeting ?

I too have been feeling that there is much of academic interest here and have made enquiries of someone who is experienced in on-line forums (fora !) to see if it might be possible to extract these excellent discourses and print them in booklet form.

I wonder what others think

Regards

Administrator

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:48 pm

I would be very happy for you to read it out at the AGM. The Society has been of great benefit to me and anything I can do to help is a pleasure.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2