View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
"Arms Fabricators — Ancient and Modern", by Robert Edward Ga 

Post "Arms Fabricators — Ancient and Modern", by Robert Edward Ga
Despite the apparent paucity of bowyers (see below), some members might possibly be interested in the following book, whose existence I recently stumbled upon:

Arms Fabricators — Ancient and Modern: A Compilation of the Names and Dates of Gunsmiths, Bladesmiths, Armourers, Bowyers and Cannoniers Offered With Such Pertinent Data Upon Their Lives and Activities as Is Discoverable Together With Three Hundred Sixty-eight Identified Poincons, by Robert Edward Gardner.

There seem to be two editions: self-published (F. J. Heer Printing Co.), Columbus, Ohio, 1934 / R. G. Adams & Company, Columbus, Ohio, 1936. Red cloth with gilt lettering; 337 pages; 5000+ entries (one listing claims 5,911); listings disagree about its size: both "6½ × 3½ inches" and "8vo — over 7¾″–9¾″ tall" are claimed. Copies seem to be readily available from the usual online sources from a little over £40 delivered to the UK (though http://www.ebay.com/itm/151084868578 offers shipping to the US only :sad: ; see my recent post …).

Trawling the internet netted some page images (about one fifth of the total) from the 1936 edition. Within that subset, I noticed just three bowyers (Juan de Lastra + Juan Perez Villadiego + Vzedo, all from Spain and Portugal before 1644). Whether the missing pages include sufficient others truly to merit the term's inclusion in the title blurb remains unclear, but an ominous counter-example is that the relevant page does not seem to list any of the Waring dynasty. [Caveat: they may just have been misplaced; entries don't always appear in strict alphabetical order, and a few even appear to have been listed under the wrong 'country' group!]

Anyway, here are the title and contents pages (I wonder what's so special about Scotland?):

and a few body pages giving a flavour of the content, including our aforementioned bowyers and the omission of Waring:

— David

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Post Re: "Arms Fabricators — Ancient and Modern", by Robert Edwar
Interesting. Concerning Scottish bowers (as they were called) a large number are listed, together with some brief detail within a book 'Scotish Arms Makers' by Charles Whitelaw. Arms and Armour Press, date unspecified.

Included is Thomas Grant of Edinburgh and George Lindsay Rae, examples of whose bows I have in my Collection. Curiously though the Kilwinning Muir family is not mentioned, possibly because they were not Burghers. Also included are several bowers Wills giving interesting details of stock in trade and various
other bits and lieces

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm

In my original posting:
I wrote:
Anyway, here are the title and contents pages (I wonder what's so special about Scotland?):
as the book has separate sections for "Scotland" and "British Isles (Scotland Excepted)".

It eventually dawned on me that at the relevant time Scotland would still have been an independent country. D'oh!

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm

And you a Bruce too !!.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]