View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
"Straight and True: A Select History of the Arrow" 

Post Re: "Straight and True: A Select History of the Arrow"
John, That is what Amazon indicated initially but when they confirmed my order they gave me an actual window of Oct. 18th to Nov. 20th., which if you include the month of September -- it is roughly three months. I suspect that they just don't know when they will receive the book from the publisher. Hopefully, they will receive the book sooner than later -- I am optimistic! :smile:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I've just had a look on Amazon.uk. There is a seller with a "used -very good" copy for £753,53!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm
Site Admin

I am tempted to believe that there is no "seller" - why do they do this ? Is Amazon your only source ? Does not Westholme Publishing have a distributor (or two) in the States or in other countries? We can order from Pen and Sword and get books within a few days.

I think Amazon must wait until they have a large number of orders before placing a bulk order for themselves.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 am

3 days ago I ordered the book from a Danish bookstore - and I got it today!

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 pm

I received an email from Amazon stating that the previous estimated arrival date of October 18, 2012 - November 20, 2012 that Amazon had given me has now been changed to October 01, 2012 - October 02, 2012. That's good news!

I also note that the Fall Issue [Volume Four, Issue Three] of TradArchers' World that I just received has a nice review of "Straight and True -A Select History of the Arrow" by Hugh D. H. Soar. It mentions that "The arrow, essentially a specialized spear, is among the most ancient human inventions and can be found in cultures throughout the world...". The review goes on to note: "Within this brief History of the arrow, Hugh D. H. Soar describes the transition from hand-thrown spear to bow-launched arrow and then follows the arrow's developments in cultures around the world and across time."

The review is well written. If I was Ole Steen, I would be looking at my own copy now! But, next week isn't too far away! :smile:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 am

Finally - I received my copy from Amazon on Saturday -- two days early! From my examination of the book, I know I have an interesting and informative "read" ahead of me.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2