View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Tir a l’Arlequin 

Post Tir a l’Arlequin
While searching on line I found a web site ”Tirs caracteristiques et historiques --- Tir a l’Arlequin” at:

http://michel-staes.e-monsite.com/pages/page-6.html

Can anyone tell me if this is a modern competition or was it used before 1600. I would like to add it to my file of medieval and renaissance archery competitions if it was shot before 1600. Even if it is not, it still looks like a fun shoot.

I used an online translator on the page, but could not find the size of the target face.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

John Edgerton
Newark, California

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:42 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Tir a l’Arlequin
John, The Blazon is certainly of some antiquity, and there are a number of different styles. I will ask Hugh to add some more information for you. He will be most interested in this site.

Admin

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Thank you.
Please tell him I am in the process of reading his newest book.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:20 am

John, this is most interesting. I believe the Societie to be ancient and shooting the blazon equally so, but I cannot be more precise I'm afraid. My own,and only detailed knowledge of blazon shooting is drawn from a booklet prepared by a Clive Temperley in 1938 and published in London by the Bishopgate Press (Messrs Straker Brothers Ltd). It is a modern form of te activity

It is titled ' An Old Form of Archery Match in a New Guise' and for the old style rectangles substitutes a number of roundels (six) spaced evenly around the perimeter of a four foot target face. Each roundel has a central spot 'called a pellet' and each is differently coloured, thus : from 1 o;clock clockwise. Gold, red, blue, black, white, green. Each roundel is 15 inches in dimaeter , and the central 'pellet' of each is 3 nches in diameter. There is a space of 1 inch between each roundel.

There are nine Rules. They are quite complex and unsuited to inclusion here. However, the scoring principle, f one arrow cutting out another may reflect ancient practice.

I have asked Veronica to scan in the pages and she will either include them on this Forum site, or,if this proves difficult or impractical (the booklet is in quite small print) I will send to you via e-mail.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:57 am

Hugh: I have a copy of "Shooting at the Blazon" that I bought on-line years ago. And a zerox of "The mystery of the Flemish blazon.' British archer, 6, 1954-5, 138-9" . The Tir a l'Arlequin seems that it might be similar to a target I have found in the "Hennessy Book of Hours" by Simon Bening, which has two illustrations that seem to be of a Flemish Blazon. However, they only show the outer edge of the targets. They can be seen at:
http://www.fahnlein.com/forums/photos/s ... hotoid=998
http://www.fahnlein.com/forums/photos/s ... hotoid=997

I hope to find enough additional information to set up and run a reasonable approximation of the Tir a l'Arlequin for archers in the SCA. I have been trying move them away from the five color 60cm FITA target and to more period targets. I did run a shoot based on the target in "The Mystery of the Flemish Blazon" which was well received.

I am currently trying to find more information on the target, range and scoring from the competition in Ghent in 1430 and 1498.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]