View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
George IV's quiver 

Post George IV's quiver
May I draw everyone's attention to this painting by John Russell of HRH the prince regent and later king George IV in the uniform of the Royal Kentish Bowmen in 1791:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... l_1791.jpg

And in particular to the quiver front right. Is there any information or knowledge whether this has been an actual quiver in the royal archer's possession? If so, does it still exist, in some museum collection maybe?

It resembles a Turkish or rather Ottoman style of quivers used mainly for flight arrows, but the design seems distinctly un-Ottoman. Were quivers of this kind in fashion among British archers in the prince's days?

In short, any information on this particular quiver or similar ones in the UK or in Europe would be highly welcome. Many thanks in advance,
Jan

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: George IV's quiver
The distinction is of course between the quiver, which was a container for spare arrows and which was set to one side in case an arrow needed to be replaced; the pouch carried the arrows for immediate use. The pouch preceded what we now call the quiver The quiver (carrying case) shown is an elaborate version of the metal containers used from the early 19C to the early 20C, when the present quiver which contains (contained) eight arrows (six for use and two spare) developed .
It is possible that the quiver in the painting is somewhere in the Royal Collection but I wouldn't know where. I have accessed the Collection to view the bow presented to Prince Albert by the Ancient Society of Kilwinning Archers but no quiver was amongst the material.
There is what purports to be a Tudor quiver in Hereford Museum, but this is of metal and not too distinct from those in my own Collection (I have ten of various sizes)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]