View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Possible Outreach Project - Bowyers, Societies & Art 

buemaker, Thank you for your kind offer to donate a 150 pounds with respect to upgrading the Forum. I am sure that folks at the Society will get back to you on this.

I was particularly interested in your comment that "in the 1930's a few guys started it again. They wrote a book on how to make bows and arrows and started an archery club." I wonder if you could tell me the name of the book and who the authors were as well as the publisher and date of publication? Being a archery book collector, I am very interested.

The objective is to collect data on archery clubs/societies, bowyers and artwork from all countries and record it so future generations of archers will have that knowledge and information. :smile:

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 pm

The book buemaker mentioned must be "Langbuen, Handbok i Bueskyting" by Ole Bohn, Gunnar Jahn and Gunnar Meyer, published by Johan Grundt Tanum, Oslo 1938.
Ole Steen

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Ole, Thank you - the information is very much appreciated.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Ole Steen got it right. This publishing company no longer exists, but was many years ago merged with another. I have one copy of this book and a few years ago I checked to see if more copies could be obtained, but was unable to find out anything. Now, the good news, tonight I checked a Scandinavian antiquarian booksite on the net, and found a bookstore in Stockholm Sweden that had one copy for sale. Well, I just ordered it.
They certainly do not know what a rare book they have in their posession
because the price was only about 20 dollars pluss freight to Norway.
I know this book is much sought after and very few people have it, so it is yours if you want it David. Oddbjorn.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Post Langbuen, Handbok i Bueskyting
Oddbjorn, I am very interested in obtaining the book. It would be a nice addition to my archery library. Thank you very kindly for offering it to me. Perhaps we can exchange PM's to work out the details of my purchasing it from you?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:12 am

When I receive it, hopefully in a few days, I shall find out shipping costs to your home and get in touch with you. Please do not feel that you have to buy it because I ordered it, I just jumped at it before somebody else did. Oddbjorn.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 am

Not an issue -- I am just happy that you are offering to sell it to me. I look forward to hearing from you once you know the shipping costs.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Post Re: Possible Outreach Project - Bowyers, Societies & Art
Oddbjorn, Thanks again for sending me "Langbuen, Handbok i Bueskyting" -- I am very happy to have it, and it is an important addition to my archery library. :grin:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm
Site Admin

Members will be most pleased to learn that on Wednesday we received the proof copy of the listing of archery clubs and societies. It is a most splendid production, thanks largely to the immense amount of dedicated work put in by Dave. It is now being proof read and small corrections being noted. It was presented to the membership at the AGM on Sunday and all present were most impressed.
A point for consideration now is whether it should be produced in hard copy or on a CD for members to purchase. Considerations are that it is large and would require significant postage which would have to be added to the overall cost. Reproduction - even by photocopying - would in itself be costly; whereas CD's can be copied at relatively low cost and the postage would be far less. A hard copy will of course go into the Society Library. What do others think ?

Dave - perhaps you would like to reproduce a sample page here for members to see ?

Administrator

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Veronica-Mae, I assume that you were thinking of a photograph. I have never posted a photo but will be willing to give it a try. However, someone had at one time posted instructions on how to do it, and now I can't seem to locate those instructions. Are those instructions still available? :???:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Dave – if the image is stored on your hard disk, simply choose "Post Reply", then click on the "Browse" button beneath the line that says "Upload attachment". Choose your file, click ok in your window, add a comment in the field if you like, then click "Add the file" – the image should appear in your post like this:
Attachment:
Skythe.jpg
Skythe.jpg [ 54.88 KiB | Viewed 5736 times ]

There may be a limit to file size, so maybe try to reduce resolution to 72dpi before.
Hope this works out for you.
Best wishes,
-j-

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the info Jan -- I am going to try to copy and paste first. However, the copy and paste method doesn't pick up logos, photos, footnotes, some symbols and a few other things. It doesn't really do justice to the document that Hugh Soar and I have assembled, but by including several pages it should provide viewers with a feel for "A Catalogue of Archery Clubs & Socities in the United Kingdom from 1537 to 1939". It includes 577 archery clubs/societies and the document is 102 pages in length. Wherever possible, we have tried to identify the source of our information.

The Catalogue is divided into two parts. The first part is a "Quick Reference Guide" that identifies clubs alphabetically and includes county information where known.

The second part is the "Detailed Listing" that includes more information on clubs, such as, when formed, members - whether male or female or both, club round, shooting ground, costume [uniform if applicable], notes that provide special information, patron or patroness in some instances, printed material/references when known and prints [artwork] in a few instances.

The catalogue begins with a forward that is followed by a section that explains the archery rounds mentioned, abbreviations used and the arrangement of the catalogue. This is followed by the "Quick Reference Guide". This guide allows the user to quickly identify or locate the existence of a club because the information is provided alphabetically. The "Detailed List" follows and includes a 'legend' that helps to identify the source used to identify the club or society. The last section is a list of primary references used by Hugh and me to identify the clubs and societies.

Page 8 of the "Quick Reference Guide" follows:

Berks [East] Archers: Berkshire
Berks [North] Archers: Berkshire
Berks [South] Archers: Berkshire
Berks [West] Archers: Berkshire
Berkshire Archers: Berkshire
Beulah Spa Archers: Norwood, near London
Beverley Archers: Beverley, Yorkshire
Beverley Archery Society: Beverly, Yorkshire
Birkdale Archery Club: Lancaster
Birkenhead Park Archers: Cheshire
Birkenhead Park Archery Society: Wirral
Bishops’ Teignton Archery Society: Devonshire
Blackmoor Foresters: Melksham
Blackmoor Vale Archery Club: Dorsetshire
Blundellsands Archers [The]: Lancashire [near Liverpool]
Boar’s Hill Archery Club: Oxford
Bockingfold Archers: Kent
Borderers [The]: Staffordshire
Borderers’ Society of Archers: Not known
Boughton Archery Club: Worcestershire
Bournemouth Archery Club: Dorset
Bournemouth York Round Society: Hampshire
Bowden Archery Society: Cheshire
Bowmen of Archenfield: Herefordshire
Bowmen of Chevy Chase: Northumberland
Bowmen of Ince: Lancashire
Bowmen of Kent: Kent?
Bowmen of Walton-le-Dale [The]: Lancashire
Bowmen of Whiteleaf: Buckinghamshire
Bowmen of the Border: Not known
Bowmen of the Brett: Ipswich
Bowmen of the Isis: Not known
Bowmen of the Wye: Chepstow, Monmouthshire
Bramford Speke Archery Society: Devonshire
Brecknockshire Archers: Brecknockshire
Breconshire Archers: Breconshire
Bridport Archery Club: Dorset
Brighton Archers: Breconshire
Brighton and Hove Archers: Sussex
British Amazons: Lewisham
Brixton Archers: Not known
Broadlands Archery Club: Suffolk
Brompton Archers: London?
Broughton Archers: Manchester
Buccleugh Archers: Oxfordshire
Budleigh Salterton Archery Society: Devonshire

Cam Archery Club: Cambridgeshire
Cambridge Archers: Cambridgeshire
Cambridge Bowmen: Not Known
Cannock Rangers: Staffordshire
Canterbury Archery Club: Kent
Cardiganshire [North] Archery Club: Cardiganshire
Carisbrook Archers: [Carisbrook Castle] Isle of Wight
Carmarthenshire Archery Club: Carmarthenshire

Page 51 of the "Detailed List" follows:

1882 AR - Kyre and Letwych Archery Club: Shropshire [Worcestershire] . Formed: prior to 1882 [AR for 1882 indicated this was a newly discovered Society]. Members: M & W. Club Round: M & W 96 x 60 yds. Shooting Ground: unspecified, but did meet at Ashdown Cottage near Tenbury and the Cricket Ground, Tenbury.

GH – Lancashire Bowmen: [Cheetham Hill], Manchester. Formed: Not known. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Cheetham Hill. Printed Material: “Present State of the Society of the United Woodmen of Arden, Broughton Archers and the Lancashire Bowmen…”, Boden, printer, Stafford, 1791. 8 vo., pp. 10. Notes: Arthur G. Credland states that the Lancashire Bowmen were sometimes referred to as the Cheetham Archers from the location of their shooting ground.

GH – Lancashire and Broughton Archers: Not known. Formed: Not known. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

TW – Lancashire and Cheshire Archers: Not known. Formed: Not known. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

1908 AR - Leamington Archers: Warwickshire. Formed: 1908. Members: M & W [approximately 20 members]. Club Round: M 48 x 80 & 24 x 60 yds., W – The National. Shooting Ground: close to Lellengton Road.

Leamington Archery Society: Warwickshire. Formed: 1853-1857? Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

Leeds Archery Club: Yorkshire: Formed: 1847-48. Members: 38 (M) Club Round: York Round. Shooting Ground: Unspecified [Blackman Lane?]. Notes: For an excellent article on this club, please consult “The Leeds Archers Society [1848-1892]” by G. D. Gaunt and D. H. C. Sillers found in the ‘Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries’, Vol. 23, 1980. One of their keen rivals was the York Archers’ Society. Their first annual ‘field day’ was held on 21 September, 1848 at Woodhouse Moor.

Leicester Archery Society: Leicestershire. Formed: 1862: Members 40 M & W. Club Round: Unspecified. Shooting Ground: Nr. County Asylum, Leicester.

?Leicestershire [South] Archery Society: Leicester: Formed: prior to 1877. Members: Not available. Club Round: Not available. Shooting Ground: Not available.

Some of the indicators before the clubs mentioned didn't print out, but GH stands for George Hansard [1840], TW stands for Thomas Waring [1832], H stands for Hargrove [1845], while the square box [it should actually be a single arrowhead] indicates the 1877 Archer's Register and 1908 AR means the information came from the 1908 Archer's Register.

Please contact Hugh Soar, Veronica-Mae Soar or me with any questions that you may have. There is a lot of great information contained in this Catalogue. The neat thing is that it is all provided within one document for ease of reference.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Wow, David – that looks like a extensive and useful source of information. Thumbs up for all the work and effort you and Hugh put in.
Great work really.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

Jan, Hugh and I appreciate your kind comments. The Catalog contains a great deal of information that we hope will be of interest to archery historians, collectors, researchers and archers in general. It also serves as a template for others to collect similar information in other countries.

We plan to include on the Forum several additional pages from the Catalog to give viewers even more of a feel for what the Catalog contains.

Again, thank you for your positive feedback. It makes all the work worthwhile when we receive such a response. :grin:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:09 am

Some additional entries from pages 90-93 of the "Detailed List" are provided:

GH & EH – Yorkshire Archers [Society of]: Leeds, Yorkshire. Formed: 1789-1794. Members: M [in 1791 the Society had seventy-eight members, including Earl Fitzwilliam and The Countess of Mexborough [both patrons]. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: According to Dr. Geoff D. Gaunt, “the known shooting venues were located on the Knavesmire at York, and in various parts of the West Riding such as ‘Chapel-Town’ [then outside Leeds and part of the Mexborough Estates], in front of the Granby ‘Inn’ at Harrogate, at Ferrybridge and at Heath near Wakefield.” Notes: Dr. Gaunt notes that the “last known shooting competition of the Yorkshire Archers was on 7 July 1794 and the last recorded social occasion was a ball in the Assembly rooms at York on 22 October 1794.” Printed Material: See pps. 78-81 of Arthur G. Credland’s article “Histories of the Societies which participated in the General Meetings at Blackheath & Dulwich, 1789-1795”, ‘Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries’, Vol. 44, 2001.

1889 AR - Yorkshire Bowmen [Society of]: Yorkshire. Formed: 1889. Members: 18 M. Club Round: York. Shooting Ground: Practice ground - Country Gentlemen’s Cricket Ground, York. In 1890, the shooting ground was the Yorkshire Gentlemen’s Cricket Club. Note: The 1889 AR noted that ‘The special objects of the Society are the revival of archery in the capital of the county, the formation of a centre for Yorkshire archers, and the encouragement of archery at the 100 yards range. The York Round will be shot at all Meetings, and it is hoped that the Society will be representative of the whole county. The founders and present members [men only] are principally those who shot for the Scorton Arrow at Northallerton in 1888, and who reside at York, Leeds, Doncaster, Gateshead, Bedale, Settle, Rotherham, Easingwold, etc. etc.

Yorkshire Toxophilites: Yorkshire. Formed: c.1790’S. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

SCOTLAND:

1886 AR - Aberdeen Archery Club: Aberdeen. Formed: 1883. Members: M [40 in 1885]. Club was opened to W in 1889. Club Round: Half York round. In 1889, the Club Round was 36 x 100, 24 x 80 & 12 x 60 yds. The AR for 1893 noted that the M shot the National Round and the W shot 48 x 50 & 24 x 40 yds. Shooting Ground: Aberdeen Archery Ground, Great Western Road, Mannofield. In 1888, shot at their grounds – Broomhill, Pitmuxton. In 1889, shooting ground was at Hammerfield. Note: Annual Ball held at the Masonic Hall, Aberdeen.

?Albyn Archers: Edinburgh. Formed: 1833. Members: M [Numerous]. Club Round: Not specified, but shooting was conducted at 100, 140 and 180 yds. Shooting Ground: Unspecified*. Costume: Green Tartan [42nd] tunic. Glengarry Bonnet with crest and feather. White trousers in Summer and [42nd] tartan trousers in Winter. Captain-General of the Society: the Marquis of Huntly. Note*: A branch of the Society shot at the Park, Inverary, under the patronage of the Duke of Argyle.

?Ancient Society of Kilwinning Archers: Ayrshire. Formed: 1485 (allegedly). Members: M. Number unspecified. Club Round: The ‘Papingo’, shot vertically. Butts. At 30 yards. Nine inch target face divided equally into three circles. Scored, 1, 2, and 3. Arrows to be wholly within circles to score. Shooting Ground: Tower of Kilwinning Church, and environs. Costume: A plain, single breasted surtout or tunic of dark green cloth, fastened with hooks and eyes, skirts lined with black silk with upright collar edged around and figured with black braiding. The figure of an arrow, in brass to be affixed on both sides of the collar of the tunic. Black satin stock or neck cloth. A broad morocco leather belt, with brass buckle. Vest of white cashmere. Trousers of dark green cloth. Gauntlets of white leather. A Stewarton bonnet, white, with red top and a green circle, bound with a green silk ribbon. Patron: His Royal Highness Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg, Prince Consort to Queen Victoria. Printed Material: See the article “Archery at Kilwinning and Irvine” by W. Allen Jamieson included in “The Archer’s Register” for 1895, pps. 195-201.

?Ardrossan Archers: Scotland. Formed: Not known. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

?Bowmen of the Border: Kelso. Formed: 1788. Members: presently 27 [limited to 80]. Club Round: Butt shooting at 100 feet and roving [Clout]. Shooting Ground: a ‘convenient place’ in Kelso. Arthur Credland suggests the ground was probably near the Knowes between the parish church and the river. Costume: Coat dark green. Black velvet cape. Buttons gilt, with letters B.B. embossed. Coat to be double breasted. Note: This Club was almost moribund in 1845 but expected to revive. Printed Material: See pp. 66 of Arthur G. Credland’s article “Histories of the Societies which participated in the General Meetings at Blackheath & Dulwich, 1789-1795”, ‘Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries’, Vol. 44, 2001.

1890 AR - Brechin Archery Club [City of]: Brechin. Formed: Not known. Members: Not known. Club Round: Not known. Shooting Ground: Not known.

Dalry Archers: North Ayrshire. Formed: 1842. Members: M – 36. Club Round: Butt shooting at 28 yds. Target to be 12” in diameter divided into six circles, valued inwards from 1 to 6. Total arrows shot unspecified, but each member carried two. Shooting Ground: Not specified. Costume: Green bonnet, with gold band.

?????Edinburgh Ladies Archery Club: Edinburgh. Formed: 1867. Members: W. Club Round: 16 ends x 60 & 8 ends x 50 yds. In 1890, W: Field Shooting: 48 x 60 & 24 x 50 yds. Butt Shooting [Target is 9 inches in diameter, and consists of 3 rings, which count 3, 2 and 1]: 63 arrows at 100 feet & Flight Shooting: 48 x 60 yds. & 24 x 50 yds. Shooting Ground: Archery range at the Meadows. Note: The 1899 AR noted that “On account of the limited space in the Butts, the membership is limited to thirty, but fifteen extra members can be admitted for the Field Shooting only and provision is also made for the admission of ladies temporarily resident in Edinburgh during the winter months”. The 1903 AR noted that “Butt Shooting is from October to April, and there are three practice days a week, and monthly competition. Field Shooting is from the middle of April to the middle of July, with three practice days a week and a monthly competition. The Butt season is the principal one, as many of the members are absent from Edinburgh during a greater portion of the ‘Field’ season.”

?Edinburgh Salisbury Archer’s Club [aka: Salisbury Archers]: Edinburgh. Formed: 1836. Members: 40 M [later limited to 36]. Club Round: In 1844 - Not specified, but distances were varied at the will of the Committee, and the number of Ends shot by decision of the Judges for the day. Later on the ‘York’ Round was shot periodically. Shooting Ground: Fettes Row and previously – East Princes Street Gardens. Costume: Green cloth surtout, black cloth trousers. Green cloth cap with feather. Printed/Manuscript Material: Manuscript - “Edinburgh Salisbury Archers Club Scrapbook”, Compiled by Thomas Blackie, Secretary, 1861. A compilation of invitations, announcements, clippings, etc., dating from 1839 to 1868, all mounted or tipped in. [private North American archery collection].

Edinburgh Toxophilites: Edinburgh. Formed: prior to 1866: Members: M. Club Round: ‘York’ Round. Shooting Ground: Lauriston Park.

Please keep in mind that the symbols in front of the clubs don't print out properly in this format. The symbols are used to signify the source from which the information was obtained. Also, footnotes are not picked up either. There are approximately 182 footnotes alone. For the period 1537-1939, we identified a total of 28 clubs in Scotland and a total of 31 clubs in Ireland. Hopefully, this will provide additional insight as to the information contained in the Catalogue. :smile:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next