View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Sad News: Paul H. Barton 1939 - 2015 

Post Sad News: Paul H. Barton 1939 - 2015
Paul H. Barton

It is with much sadness that I inform you that fellow member Paul Barton recently passed away. Paul had been both a member of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries and the Archery Collectors Guild for a number of years. I have had the pleasure and the privilege of corresponding with Paul over an extended period of time. Many of you are aware of the wonderful crossbow collection he formed over a number of years, which has been written up in several issues of the “Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries”. “The Paul H. Barton collection (pt. 1)” appeared in Volume 54 (2011) of the “Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries”. Pt. 2 appeared in Volume 55 (2012), pt. 3 appeared in Volume 56 (2013) while pt. 4 appeared in Volume 57 (2014). Paul had mentioned to me that there was enough material on his collection to hopefully generate further articles.

Although we never actually met (much to my regret), we immensely enjoyed corresponding with each other concerning our respective archery collections and various other archery interests and historical matters. Paul always struck me as a “collector’s collector” – very serious about the items he added, well informed and wanting to know as much as possible about them. There is no question but that he was certainly a very knowledgeable collector.

While Paul’s crossbow collection is definitely unique and impressive, he also enjoyed archery books and general archery matters as well. He was always very excited when the SA-A Journal arrived along with the SA-A ‘Newsletters’ and the ‘Newsletters’ of the Archery Collectors Guild. As I recall, Paul had also put together an ‘air gun’ collection early on as well. Paul lived in Massachusetts outside of Boston. Somehow, I always received the Journal and Newsletters ahead of Paul so I would inform him that they were on their way.

Michael Barton, Paul’s son, informed me of his father’s death. Some of you may also know Michael, who like his dad, is both a member of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries and the Archery Collectors Guild.

Michael sent me the following notice concerning his father's death: “Paul H. Barton – 76, of Reading, Massachusetts, died at his home, surrounded by his family on Friday, April 17, 2015. Born in Winchester, MA on January 13, 1939, he was the son of the late Harold M. and Eleanor B. (Eisenhaur) Barton. He was a lifelong resident of Reading. He attended Reading Schools and was a graduate of Reading Memorial High School, Class of 1956.

Paul worked as a Sales Representative for Rainin Instruments in Woburn, MA for many years and was retired for the past twenty years.

He loved his family and his many hobbies. He spent many hours of enjoyment on his computer, photographing his collections and his family, especially his grandchildren. Paul enjoyed many travel adventures with his wife and children, over the years. He travelled to London, Bermuda, Russia and throughout the USA and Europe. He was an avid book and antique collector.

Family members include his loving wife of 56 years, Eleanor (Shaw) Barton; his daughter, Pauline E. Nelson and her husband John of Pelham, NH; his son, Michael R. H. Barton and his wife Laura of Tyngsborough; three grandchildren, Cate, Ian and Anna Barton; his sister, Margaret Locke and her husband Sherman of North Reading and his late brother, Robert L. Barton. Also survived by several cousins and a nephew.”

Michael also mentioned that Paul had truly enjoyed his correspondence over the years with members of the SA-A and the Archery Collectors Guild especially Arthur Credland. I know that Paul was very appreciative of Arthur Credland’s assistance in helping to write, prepare and research the articles for the Journal on Paul’s magnificent crossbow collection.

Paul always impressed me with his ability to take outstanding photos – he was an excellent photographer. You can see this evidenced in the articles on his unusual crossbow collection contained in the SA-A Journal.

I will miss interacting and corresponding with Paul as I am sure other members of the Society and the Guild will likewise. We have lost a very special, unusual and enthusiastic fellow member and collector.

Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Post Re: Sad News: Paul H. Barton 1939 - 2015
Michael Barton sent me this photo of his father Paul amidst his extensive collection. It looks like a most inviting and interesting room filled with artifacts, collectibles, books and other items from a life time of collecting. I'm sure that Paul had many fascinating stories and memories concerning these items and his collection.

Sat May 30, 2015 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]