View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
New booklet 
Site Admin

Post New booklet
Greetings. Some of you might be interested in a little booklet from the SOAR stable

London's Changing Games - an Olympic Miscellany by Hugh and Veronica Soar

which, although not all about archery, contains an interesting and humorous look at the considerable differences in those three Olympic events held in London - 1908, 1948 and 2012. This is the only city to have hosted three such events.
There is some archery in the booklet of course, how could it be otherwise ? but strangely it was not one of the events in 1948.

A modest £4 plus postage is all that is required.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Post Re: New booklet
Sounds like a booklet I should have in my archery library. Would one pound sterling cover mailing costs to Connecticut, USA, or is more money needed? :grin:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Site Admin

Dave- Here in the UK our postage rates are rocketing almost daily. Much to my chagrine it seems that (accordng to the latest leaflet I have) this booklet would require a whopping £4.28 by airmail to USA. There used to be a printed paper rate but I am told that this has been removed. Even by surface mail it would be £2.27, and I don't trust surface mail not to lose it !

I shall make further enquiries as to other options on Monday as our wonderful postal service closes down at 12 on a Saturday.

We do have the booklet pages as a pdf - and I could probably do likewise with the covers and send it that way - but it is not the same is it? I will be back when I have more to report.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Veronica-Mae - Many thanks for your update. UK postage is definitely expensive.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Just finished reading “London’s Changing Games – An Olympic Miscellany”. It was an interesting and enjoyable read! The 1908, 1948 and 1912 Olympics in London are discussed. There are many interesting insights provided along with a number of “human” interest stories as well. For example, it was interesting to note in the Marathon running event in the 1908 Olympics involving runners Pietri and Hayes, that Pietri, who was exhausted, was helped to his feet several times, crossed the finish line first but was denied the medal because of the assistance he received. Of course, archery was mentioned a number of times as well. I enjoyed reading about Alf Webb, and his involvement with disabled archers. The authors also contrast the difference between the three Olympics. Also impressive are the number of photographs included – the booklet is very well illustrated. This booklet is a nice addition to anyone’s library! :smile:

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:53 pm
Site Admin

Thank you for you kind words Dave - only sorry the postage was so extortionate V

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 am

Not a problem -- your book is well worth the cost of the postage!

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]