View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Second-Hand Bookdealers in London? 

Post Second-Hand Bookdealers in London?
I'm going to London next week with my family and will of course be looking for books about archery.
Anyone who knows some good bookstores there?
We are staying in Chelsea (Earls Court Square), but are going to see most of central London (or at least try to!)
Ole

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Post Re: Second-Hand Bookdealers in London?
Won't help you find archery/related content specifically, but "The Bookshop Guide - the only guide to all the UK's secondhand and antiquarian bookshops, bookrooms, and market stalls" (http://www.inprint.co.uk/thebookguide/shops/) provides a decent starting point when out and about. For London, there are eight lists "by postal district".

It may also be worth checking out the Yellow Pages under "Books - Rare & Secondhand"; they should be available whereever you're staying or at most public libraries.

Let us know how you get on!

— David

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:14 am

Hi Ole, I know that this comes a long time after your post, but I am curious -- did you have any luck in London with the bookdealers you contacted? Over 40 years ago when I visited London, I had no luck what so ever. However, once I got outside of London [including Wales & Scotland], my luck improved.

I also enjoy hearing about your 'finds' -- you come across some great stuff!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi David.
Same for me. I visited 10-12 bookstores without any luck. Chances are better on the internet.
I've just bought a copy of "A Study of the Eskimo Bow" (John Murdoch) and "The Greenland Bow" (Kaj Birket-Smith). Only special about them was the price, less than half what you can find them for most places.
And then I found a copy of "Die Abzugsvorrichtung der Frühen Armbrust und ihre Entwicklung" (F. Rohde 1933) and an article from H. Walrond, which I can't find in L&W.
But the "hunting season" has been meagre. It's getting harder to find them.
Ole

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Ole, Thanks for the update. You certainly do come up with special titles. I have Murdoch's work but not the others. These are all hard to find. The Internet has certainly changed the game for building an archery library. When I started, I would have to look for Used Book Dealer listings in the yellow pages of telephone directories for the town or city I was visiting. A very slow process.

However, I could also contact Clement C. Parker, who wrote the Compendium of Works on Archery or Earle Nicklas of the firm of Nicklas and Parker [Earle took over the business from Clem Parker] for a special archery title. Both of them specialized in archery books. Many times for XMAS or my birthday, my wife would contact one or the other of them to find a special title for me. Both dealers also periodically put out lists of archery books for sale. Now, their archery book catalogs themselves are collectible items.

The process for finding archery books is now at one's fingertips [and a computer].

Keep us posted on your finds -- they are always interesting to hear about.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]