View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
"A Treatise on Archery" 

Post "A Treatise on Archery"
I found a copy of this book some time ago, nothing speciel about it, apart from the (first?) owners name and that made me curious.
His name was John Biddulph, he came from Llangenneck (in Wales) as far as I am able to read his hand and then there is a name, Plasifsaf(?) or something like that.
Anyone who knows what that means?
Ole

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: "A Treatise on Archery"
Dear Ole,

This is most strange. There is a modern publisher who reproduces old books and whose name is Joseph Biddulph

He is at 32 Stryd Ebeneser, Pontypridd.

I can not find any relevant reference to a John Biddulph. Although search found a number of persons with that name, none seem to have any connection with archery. This is not to say that there was no archer of this name who just happened to have this book. There are a number of places in Wales called Plas Isaf and one of them is near Llanngennech. The family of Biddulph had some Welsh connections around Llannelli

Is your book an original or a copy ?

administrator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

My book is an original (6th edition, 1827) and I found some info about a John Biddulph Esq., who lived in Llangennech around 1830, so it seemed to fit together.
And so does "Plas Isaf" The capital "I" in "Isaf" looked like a "if" and I can se now, that it is two words.
So I'm pretty sure this book belonged to him.
Thank you, I'm a "Bibliomaniac Toxophilite" as a friend once called me, but I also like know something about the people, who wrote the books and who owned them.
Ole

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm
Site Admin

You really do seem to be able to find some rare books - well done. Keep it safe !

administrator

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 pm

I've finally had time to actually read in this book. And the hon. John Biddulph Esq. was not a toxophilite.
He never read the book, none of the pages are cut open in the top, so this book has never been read.
Ole

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 pm
Site Admin

Good gracious ! Now you have a dilemma.. If you cut the pages in order to read the book it will lower the value. But you cannot read it unless you do. Oh dear

Administrator

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]